HOW TO FOLLOW
UD Twitter: @UDallasSports
UD Basketball Twitter: @UDallasMBB
UD Facebook: University of Dallas Athletics
UD Basketball Facebook: University of Dallas Basketball (Official)
UD Instagram: udallasathletics
UD Basketball Instagram: udallasmbb
The University of Dallas men's basketball team opens the 2019 season with a big home stretch that features five of the next seven contests in the Maher Center. This includes a three-game home stand starting Friday with Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference opponent, Trinity University. Tip-off is slated for around 6 p.m. after the women's game.
Dallas (3-8, 2-2 SCAC) enters the new year with some momentum after winning consecutive conference games at Colorado College (90-84) and Johnson & Wales University (69-66). The Crusaders used a school record 15 three-pointers to score a season-best at Colorado College. This lifted head coach Jarred Samples to the program record for wins (112). The next day, UD netted five three-pointers, but shot 50 percent from long range and used tenacious defense in the waning minutes to come from down six at the half and edge Johnson & Wales.
THREE THINGS TO KNOW FOR UD
- Logan Fruhwirth (Waynesville, Ohio) is averaging 15.8 points in conference games, with double-digit totals in all four contests. He has emerged as the top player in the league for three-point percentage with a 61.1-clip.
- Michael Wambsganss (Denver, Colo.) leads the team with 122 points and 11.1 point-per-game (ppg). He also paces the squad with 38 made three-pointers. Fruhwirth is the other Crusader to eclipse 30 makes from downtown.
- Nine different Crusaders tallied points in each of the road wins.
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
BY THE NUMBERS
- Dallas is 8-37 all-time versus the Tigers. This includes the last four matchups at the Maher Center dating to 2014-15.
- The Crusaders edged Trinity 75-66 at home last season. It clinched them a spot in the conference tournament at the time.
SCOUTING THE TIGERS
- Trinity enters with a 2-9 overall record, but are unbeaten in conference play after victories on December 18 and 19 at Austin College and Centenary College.
- The Tigers were selected first in the SCAC Coaches' Preseason Poll.
- Danny Rivara and Isaiah Specks lead the offense with 14.9 and 11.0 ppg, respectively.
- Karthik Reddy ranks atop the SCAC in rebounds-per-game with 8.5.
- The Tigers are averaging 65.2 points, while shooting 40.1 percent from the field and 28.2 percent from three.
Dallas takes a week off before returning back to the home floor on Saturday, January 12 versus Southwestern University. First tip will be around 6 p.m. again.