HOW TO FOLLOW
Multimedia Coverage: Video
UD Twitter: @UDallasSports
UD Softball Twitter: @UDallasSoftball
UD Facebook: University of Dallas Athletics
UD Softball Facebook: University of Dallas Softball
UD Instagram: udallasathletics
UD Softball Instagram: udallas_softball
The University of Dallas softball team opens the 2018 season versus Hendrix College. Due to potential poor weather, the game has been rescheduled to Friday, February 9th with a doubleheader starting at 4 p.m. The season opener starts an eight-game stretch of home games through the month for the Crusaders.
Dallas is coming off a 14-28 season that included a 9-15 record in the Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference (SCAC). The Crusaders were 8-14 at home in 2017.
CHANGE FOR CHANGE
Change-For-Change is a national non-profit organization that inspires people to build a better world through giving. This organization is based on the idea that small change can be used to make big changes in our community. This year, Dallas' Student Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) is partnering with Change-For-Change to help raise money for the Special Olympics, an organization that Division III athletics also partners with. Through your giving, we can help build our Special Olympics family and give back to our community.
THREE QUICK HITS FOR UD
- Stephanie Cervantes (Temecula, Calif.) returns with the highest batting average (.294) and powered a team-high three home runs.
- Melanie Savala (Bryan, Texas) and Mackenzie Tano (Wylie, Texas) are the top two hitters with 32 and 31 base knocks, respectively, from 2017. The duo combined for 28 stolen bases, 10 doubles (5 apiece), five triples, and three homers.
- Julie Dueñas (Houston, Texas) ripped a walk-off double in game one of the Fall Ball Game versus Southwestern Assemblies of God. She finished two-for-three with a walk and run scored in that contest.
BY THE NUMBERS
- This is the third straight season these programs have met. Hendrix is 3-1, including a sweep last year.
- Dallas is 4-27 all-time against the Warriors.
- The Warriors posted an 18-20 record and 8-10 mark in the Southern Athletic Association (SAA)
- Karli Sewell returns as the top hitter with a .391 batting average, 45 hits, 12 doubles, three triples, three home runs, and 36 RBI.
- Emily Stockalper (.318) and Nikki Sanders (.301) are the other returners from 2017 that batted north of a .300 average. Stockalper was the other Warrior to log double-digits in doubles with 10.
- Stockalper also led the team in pitching appearances with 23 (21 starts). She posted an 11-10 record and 3.24 ERA through 123.1 innings in the circle.
- Savanah Draud is another pitcher with over 20 outings (21). She totaled 76.2 innings and yielded a 4.02 earned run average.
Dallas continues its home stretch with Southwestern Assemblies of God on Feb. 7th. The twinbill is slated for 12 p.m.