HOW TO FOLLOW
UD Twitter: @UDallasSports
UD Softball Twitter: @UDallasSoftball
UD Facebook: University of Dallas Athletics
UD Softball Facebook: University of Dallas Softball
UD Instagram: udallasathletics
UD Softball Instagram: udallas_softball
The University of Dallas softball team plays its first away games in 2018 on March 3rd and 4th. The Crusaders are at Huntingdon Collegefor the Jimmy John's Classic. Dallas will play Mount St. Joseph (OH) and the host school twice, with one matchup against each on the day.
The Crusaders (1-3) will start the tournament with Mount St. Joseph at 12 p.m. on Saturday and then Huntingdon around 2 p.m. The next day, UD will play a neutral site game at 10 a.m. before concluding play with the Hawks after.
Weather cut the Crusaders eight-game home stand in half, with the past four games rained out. The latest was a pair of non-conference games with LeTourneau University were postponed on Wednesday, and have been rescheduled for April 17th.
Another rescheduled date for Dallas that was announced earlier this week was the spring break road twinbill at Concordia University. Those games are will now be on April 11th.
THREE THINGS TO KNOW FOR UD
- Dallas is batting .255 and has totaled 28 base hits, 18 runs, and 13 RBIs.
- Mel Savala (Bryan, Texas) and Caitlyn Stevenson (Henderson, Nev.) are the top two hitters having combined for 11 hits with six and five, respectively. A trio of players have recorded three base knocks.
BY THE NUMBERS
- All-time series vs. Huntingdon: 1-7 | All-time series vs. Mount St. Joseph: 0-0
- The Crusaders split a couple one-run finals in 2016 in neutral site games held at Millsaps College. After falling 11-10, UD walked-off 6-5 in eight innings thanks to a two-RBI double by Savala.
A LOOK AT THE OPPONENTS
-The Hawks enter play 4-6. They defeated fellow SCAC school Centenary College last weekend in a 4-2 result. Overall, the Hawks split that series.
- Huntingdon is 2-2 at home.
- Alyssa Singleterry is the lone hitter with double figures in base knocks with 14.
- The offense for HC has combined for six doubles, two triples, three homers, and 30 RBIs. Opposition is outdoing the Hawks 26-7 in stolen bags.
- Six different pitchers have made an appearance in the circle. Four of the arms have thrown in at least five games. Lindsey Selph has tossed 25.1 innings and fanned 28 batters to go with a 3.87 ERA.
(Mount St. Joseph)
- The Lions begin the 2018 season this weekend.
- In 2017, MSJ went 20-15 overall and 8-7 in the Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference. This included 15 wins in games away from home.
- The top returning hitter from last year is Sturgill Savannah with 41 hits, 12 doubles, six home runs, and 32 RBIs.
- Katie Tarter is another teammate that posted over 30 hits (35) with seven doubles, two triples, and 20 RBIs.
- Danielle Nichelson is the top returning arm having gone 99 innings pitched. She logged a 10-4 record with 11 complete games behind 99 innings. She struck out 34 in 18 appearances.
Dallas is back home on Mar. 9th and 10th for the first Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference (SCAC) series. The four-game set will be against defending three-time regular season and tournament champion, Texas Lutheran University.