TACOMA Wash. – The University of Dallas women's lacrosse team fell 14-5 against Linfield College on Sunday. Playing on University of Puget Sound's field, Dallas (0-2) was unable to slow the Wildcats (1-0) in their season opener. The Crusaders trailed 9-2 at halftime after allowing six unanswered to start the contest.
- Lexi Leite (Houston, Texas) led UD's offense with another hat trick in two games. She was five-of-six for shots on cage and picked up two groundballs.
- Claire Gagliano (Peachtree, Ga.) repeated her scoring total performance with a pair to give her four on the young season. She won a team-high three draw controls out of six for the squad.
- Lizz Winkler (St. Charles, Ill.) was saddled in the loss with three saves.
- Her counterpart Kylee Duey also saved three shots against eight faced.
- Mae Seifert led the offense for Linfield with six goals and added a pair of assists. She also had a game-high eight shots.
- Sarah Bailey contributed seven shots and rounded out a trio of multi-scorers with two. Dana Brooks had three goals for 2nd on team.
- Dallas was outshot 26-14.
- The Crusaders won three draw controls in each half but were downed 15-6 in that column.
- Linfield went 6-of-10 in successful clears while UD was 5-for-12.
- The Wildcats forced 22 turnovers while committing only 14.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Less than a minute passed from the opening draw and the Wildcats were on top thanks to an unassisted Seifert goal. 10 minutes later the game's leading scorer secured a hat trick and a 5-0 edge for Dallas' foe.
Gagliano got the Crusaders on the board at 18:21 in the first stanza. Gwen Mohler (San Francisco, Calif.) dished the assist on the play that made it 6-1. Leite's goal with 13:29 left before the break cut the margin back to five (7-2), but that was as close as UD would gain. A goal at 10:27 and then 1:58 gave the Wildcats a comfortable 9-2 lead.
Leite started the scoring for either side in the second half with a goal at 25:47. That reduced the margin to 9-3. After another Linfield goal from Seifert, Gagliano netted a man-up scoring play to make it 10-4. Leite earned her hat trick with 1:28 left and wrapped up the 14-5 result.
Dallas plays Linfield College tomorrow at the neutral site Puget Sound. First draw is at 12 p.m. (PST).